Remaining Four Released from Jail

Media Contact: Charles Suggs
Number: 304-854-7372

BECKLEY, W.Va.—Seventeen mountaintop removal activists had no choice
but to enforce the laws since all administrative remedies have been
exhausted, said some of the activists and supporters at a press
conference today. The four still-jailed activists were released on
their own recognizance by Judge Burnside shortly after the press
conference, which was held on the Raleigh County Courthouse steps.

“I’ve lived in West Virginia most of my life. I’m sick and tired of
big business and the corrupt government telling us what to do,” began
Sid Moye of Mercer County, who participated in the Picket at Pettus.
“They come in and they can take our land, they can ruin our water and
they can take our resources. It’s not right and somebody has to do
something about it so we do the little things that we can.”

Eric Blevins, also arrested in the Pettus action, said, “I asked the
officer arresting me if Massey is going to be allowed to blast near the
dam and he didn’t want to talk about it. I asked him, doesn’t he have a
responsibility to enforce the law, and he said ‘Not those laws.’”

“We locked down on the Kayford mountaintop removal site with mud
from Mingo County on our boots,” Ashlee Henderson said in a statement
from the Kayford 8, “After we were arrested we had the dust remains
from Kayford Mountain added to that mud.”

“Just because a mining permit is applied for,” Debbie Jarrell of
Rock Creek, Raleigh County asked the crowd, “Is there a law that states
that it has to be granted? If there’s a cleaner way to develop energy,
such as the Coal River Wind Project, should we not take advantage of

Mat Louis-Rosenberg pointed out the absurdity of the littering
charges for the two individuals on the Brushy Fork Dam and the $2,000
bail for each of the protesters. He contrasted the bail rate with the
$1,800 fine Massey paid in 1999, when 14.5 miles of the Coal River were
blackened with slurry and the $15,000 A & G Coal paid for the death
of three year old Jeremy Davidson outside of Appalachia, Virginia in

“It was extremely unjust that the magistrate illegally posted such a
high bail, when our maximum fine was only one hundred dollars,” said
Laura Steepleton of the Pettus 7, who was released this afternoon. “He
justified his statement by telling us that we had no ties to the area.
As a human being and a citizen of this country I do not only have a tie
to this area, but a responsibility to ensure security for these
mountains and the safety for the people of this beautiful community. “

There is a video of the press conference available at

Slideshow available here.

Information on the bail fund is here.




Comments are closed.